But fabric is so much more compact than yarn!
I bought a 3 metre piece of lovely cotton with the plans to make a new skirt and top set. That is the floral piece in the background.
Then I saw this stunning hand dyed fabric. Very expensive but soooooooo gorgeous. It is made by Farbstoff. The lady was lovely and spent ages helping me find the right colours.
Originally I was looking for a pice to photograph my work on but I ended up getting two pieces, the second one to make jewellery stands with.
Yes, I know they are going to work out very expensive jewellery stands but I need something special for when I finally get around to designing the silk jewellery.
I used a template I found online. Stella & Hodge show you how to make some simple stands that fold flat. They make theirs from card. The template is perfect for what I wanted to do. I just wanted them posher.
I had also bought some very thick interfacing at the show. I went stash diving and found the Bondaweb and then I was ready.
As interfacing doesn't score and bend like card, I cut one full piece. The second piece was trimmed just inside the dotted lines of the template so that the pieces didn't touch.
I ironed the pieces all together and then got out the sewing machine. I tucked ribbon between the interfacing and the fabric.
I did a single line of stitching, from the back, along the centre of the gaps in the second layer of interfacing.
Finally, fold the hem over, sew a single line of stitching from the back to hold it all in place. Then a decorative row just inside from the front.
If I make any more, I would just use one layer for the full template and build up the strength in the separate pieces. This will give a much sharper fold line and make them sit better. I would also use thinner ribbon and magnetic catches in stead of having to ties bows each time.
Now all I have to do is design the silk jewellery to display on them.