Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Learning to crochet

I can't remember learning to crochet. Not surprising really, it was nearly 40 years ago!

I do know that my Dad taught me the basics as he had a lot more patience then Mam. She took over later when we could do the basics.

I remember making "Tank-Tops" that looked like string vests. And ponchos that were all the rage. And waistcoats, long lacy ones.

The problem with Crochet is that people tend to think it belongs in the 70's. Not at all true! You should see some of the things I have seen crocheted!!!

You have to visit Patricia Waller. Its really wierd and most of it not at all my taste but the crocheter in me appreciates the the innovation and work that has gone into these pieces. But I love the Rowing Monkey.

Here is another of my favourite sites. Sylvia Cosh and James Walters made a formidable team. And they are British! Sadly, Sylvia died from cancer in 2000. James built this site about their work.

I have a few of their books which are now out of print. Sometimes you can get lucky and get them on eBay but they are so popular they go for rather a lot. They are far more interesting than some of the modern books you can get.

And this is good for a giggle!

Most of the information around is US based. However, I have a Tutorial in UK terms on my site.

And once you have mastered the basics you could try out this Mini Flower Tutorial.

When you get more adventurous, there are a whole load of Free Patterns on there.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the links. Must teach myself to crochet, it'll be better than clicking knitting needles that upset DH and I really am inspired by the beautiful things you've produced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a lot of lovey links I can myself being lured in to trying some crochet at this rate.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the links to, I will have to get my hook out and have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what a lot of links you have been busy !!!! I will have a look at more of them later xxx
    great blog x

    ReplyDelete

All genuine comments welcome but please don't spam. All comments are moderated and anything I consider spam is deleted.